statue shows a crowned woman with two male kilted children
at her feet. One shows plans for approval whilst the other
kneels to apply mortar to a pillar. It represents the crowning
of the theory and practice of Art.
in 1862 by William Brodie 1815- 1881 (not to be confused
with the infamous William Deacon Brodie) the statue was
not unveiled until 1891 ten years after the artists' death.
Brodie was a prolific sculptor
and is responsible for a number of statues in Edinburgh and
Glasgow including James Young Simpson also in West Princes
Street Gardens and the bronze statue of Greyfriar's Bobby
outside Greyfriars Kirk.